Friday, April 26, 2024

Bobby’s on Bicycles

 Nope, haven’t seen any. But yesterday five mounted Bobby’s were unceremoniously dumped from their steeds when road work spooked them into a furious race around the city. Don’t mean to make light of a serious event because a couple of the officers needed medical attention, and worse, the horses had multiple serious injuries  

I’m realizing how much I don’t know about London, and I’ve had some misconceptions clarified  I’ve pictured London as a quaint old city with a stiff upper lip attitude; true but not true, its population is not that much different than New York City. It moves about as fast, and seems just as international. It does feel more organized and polite., and the one thing I got right was the taxis, they express my perception of English culture perfectly. 


Our adventures today included a cultured side and an uncultured side.  But first we had an interesting lunch at a large market in an old church.   Beautiful setting, with many nationalities represented in food choices. I had Indian, don’t know what it was called but it was a stuffed potato. If, like me, you thought that was an oxymoron; think again. Don’t know how they got black beans, and lots of other Indian stuff in that spud but they did. It was hotter than it was tasty. It did give me what I was looking for, the experience. 

Early in the afternoon we visited the Victoria and Albert Museum.   

Wikipedia says, “ The Victoria and Albert Museum in London is the world's largest museum of applied arts, decorative arts and design, housing a permanent collection of over 2.27 million objects. It was founded in 1852 and named after Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

The uncultured event can’t be found on Wikipedia  I think you call it a “hold my beer and watch this” event. It was called the Rocket on the Thames  It amounted to a first half narrated leisurely boat ride to see the city sights from the river, and a strap yourself in and hold on boat ride for the finale, Did I mention it was rainy and cold. I guess we can classify it as another experience. Nuff said about that  

Traditional steak dinner to end the day and sleep was a welcomed. Tomorrow we’re off to Oxford and Cotswalds, where we will visit Churchill’s home.